Fast forward to Sunday morning. I am thinking crap why am I up this early! But I get up and pull on some appropriate closes, grab an apple for breakfast, a bottle of water to drink, my sun glasses and wait for Vevaik to call to say he is here to pick me up. He finally shows up in his roommates car and we head off, I thought to the cricket field but apparently we were meeting the mech team at the office first. Anoop hops into the car too instead of riding on some one's two wheeler and then we all head off like a gang of bikers, hahah.
We get to the field and there aren't that many people there yet. There is a walking track around the field, some tennis courts off to one side, etc. The teams huddle up and talk, the wickets are placed, a coin is flipped, mech wins the coin toss and chooses to bat first. Vevaik and I are sitting off to the side just watching this all. I kept asking questions and learning about cricket during the whole match.

Really the whole thing is a lot like baseball except how they throw and hit. The throwing is called "bowling" and batting is more like a combination of golf, tennis, and baseball. The innings are called "overs" and games can be super long because you can have alot of overs, not like baseball where there are 9 innings. Oh an there are more runs scored because they just have to run back and forth not get to 4 different bases. Oh and there aren't strikes or balls and if the ball hits the batter they don't get a walk. If you want more info see the web for answers. :)

They played a lot of overs and the match was long. I understood why they wanted to start early because it got hot towards the end of the game. I also forgot to put sunscreen on before I went. Not that it was a big deal since it was just my face and arms but... The mechanical team ended up losing, I don't think they knew the other team has been practicing. Jason was the last batter for the other team and smacked two balls past the 4 run boundary to win the game for their team. I think the mech team was impressed. I asked him after if he played baseball in the States which he did...so it all made sense to me. After the game Vevaik took Jason and I back home. I showered and took a nap.

No comments:
Post a Comment