Sunday, March 2, 2008

Apartment 102 Panchamrut

So this is a general post about the apartment I am staying in over in India. Like I said there are a lot more pictures on picasa. I like that my apartment is on the "first" floor. I can walk up the stair so the apartment. There is parking on the main floor. The elevators (they call them lifts I think) are like a US service elevator where you have to open the door, open the sliding metal gate, it then plays music to let you know the gate is open, close the door, close the gate, then push the button. There is only a fan in the elevator, no AC.

I can turn my doorbell off. I learned this because Gemar showed me one time when he was dropping off lunch. Rather funny but good to know. Shannon warned me that there are guys who come by every morning to pick up trash and if you don't have trash outside your door they ring the bell.

To me the light switches are not in very convient locations, it is hard to get use to. Also I have a bad habit of walking around the house with my shoes on. Over here you are suppose to take your shoes off before you enter or something like that. Needless to say sometimes I walk around my apartment here with my shoes on, I try not to but....I figure the floor is marble and it's being cleaned every other day so...Most of the time though I wear the house slippers I brought. We'll see how long they last.

On the front of my door there is a symbol of an elephant. I think it is on every door in this building besides the doors people have modified. I will walk around sometime and take pics for you all to see what I mean. There are two furnished bedrooms with ACs, the living room has an AC, there is a kitchen, a combined dinning/living room, a "mud" closet, a pantry, a bathroom for each room (the furnished rooms have theirs connected), a third room with a fan (thanks Pat, Shannon's mom, for the tip on using the fan to help dry) where laundry is line dried and ironed, and a third unattached bathroom with the washer (they don't have driers here). There are ceiling fans all over in the apartment. So far I have only used the fans and haven't turned on the AC.

I worked out with the cleaning lady for her to take the washed cloths out of the washer and hang them up to dry, then when cloths are dry for her to iron them :) Yep...I hate laundry and cleaning so any help I can enlist I will take :) If I left her to do the laundy she would hand wash all the cloths because it is faster, so that is why I have to load the washer (it takes an hour I heard) before she shows up.

hmmmm what else to tell you about the apartment....oh here is a list of some major differences: matress (stiffer & thinner), bathroom (window always open to outside), shower (instant water heater), toilet (way it works), outlets (holes, on a switch also like lights), doors (locks), kitchen (too much to list)....that is all I can think of right now.




PS
~ Some of you will get this: look at the pictures of the closets. I came home one night to clean, ironed, and folded laundry siting on my bed and I couldn't help myself. :)

No comments: