Sunday, March 23, 2008

Sunday 2/24/2008 Shopping & Fun Republic

My memory is a little foggy on what I did Sunday. I know we all met to go to the Pride Hotel for their buffet breakfast. I also know that Shannon, Pat, and I went shopping some more. Now that Shannon had her sari we needed to find a kurta (top) and salwar (bottoms) for Shannon's husband, Dave. She figured if she was wearing a sari to the wedding that she would make him wear traditional cloths to the wedding. (Side note, he was about the only male wearing this outfit to the wedding, most of the other guys wore button down shirts and dress pants) Dave is taller than Shannon and has wide shoulders. Normally a person here would get this outfit custom made but Dave was going to arrive the day before the wedding so there was no time for that. We went to a bunch of shops looking at kurtas. We kept asking what the largest size was which was/is 46. Jason had told me he had bought a kurta that was 46 and it fit when he first wore it but after washing it the kurta no longer fit.

Since we were shopping I also tried on Punjabi suits. We first went to National Heirloom which has 4 levels I believe and has more than just cloths. Not sure where else we went but we eventually went to Half Ticket. I finally found a Punjabi suit that I fit in and liked. So that is where I bought my first Indian outfit.
So after writing this I remembered that I had pictures from what else I did Sunday :) Yeah things have gotten all mixed up. I can't remember who called to invite me but a group of us went to Fun Republic to bowl and play pool. It was rather crazy. There are bowling shoes but they are in these cubbie holes, you don't have to go to the counter to check them out. Also all the sizes are in not US sizes...I shouldn't say sizes because that is misleading. I saw maybe three pairs of shoes and they were all size 42. There are 4 lanes at this place. So we get a lane and take off our shoes. Some of the guys were bowling barefoot or in socks. I tried bowling in socks and decided that was not advisable. So I put on a pair of 42 shoes which were a little too big for me and wore them the rest of the time. Anoop, Kapil, Vevaik, Jason and I went to Fun Republic. Kapil picked us all up in his new car :) All the guys are mech staff except for Jason. So anyways if you look at the pictures on Picasa you will see that I won. Vevaik almost beat me but I pulled it off in the end.

After bowling Kapil had to go some where and the rest of us decided to play pool. I thought it was great that there was bummer cars inside the building! I of course did not ask to ride them but I thought about it. So we go to play pool and we were going to play teams. Before we decided I mentioned that I stink at pool as a warning. So it was Anoop and Vevaik versus Jason and I. I did like normal manage to once in a while sink a ball but...good thing no one ever makes me call the pocket before hand. The thing that kills me is that I loved geometry and was great at it. All pool is is geometry but somehow I am bad at pool. I blame it on visualization...I can't picture it in my head, I need to draw it out...We started a second game but I think our time was up and we weren't able to finish. During the second game some guys had walked into the room and sat in the chairs to watch a snooker game. They had a little boy with them. I think they were getting ready to leave and decided to watch our game a little. Not sure if it was because Jason and I were the only two white people or because a female was playing pool....but they got bored with our game so then they left. It was pretty funny to me. Later when I was thinking about it I am pretty sure I was the only female bowling also. Not sure why or if it matters. I had fun so...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. I hate pool as well because of the geometry.

2. I love the outfit!!!

'sten said...

Mo, I can't remember if you were in math class with us but I can remember math with Claud and it was such a hoot! Do you remember the great times hanging out at our lockers?

Thanks about the outfit, I thought I looked kinda frumpy in it...I think I will try to get better fitting ones...they look better...