Back to the story :) So like I said earlier...after Jason's B-day celebration Shannon and I went back to see Pat and Meeta. Meeta's sister-in-law and cousin (I think) were also there visiting. Meeta served Pat, Shannon, and I the food she had cooked for lunch. I have no clue what it was but I tried a tiny little bit of most of it to be respectful. We all sat around for a bit talking and then Meeta's relatives left. Meeta cleaned up a bit and then the four of us left to find the rest of the things Shannon needed for her sari.
So first we went to a fabric store to get the material to put under Shannon's sari since the material is sheer. It is also a sand color so we looked for something that matched/blended with it. Meeta picked one fabric for under the skirt part of the sari and another material for under the top part. After this purchase we were off to the tailor (or stitch) to drop off the top. We get to the tailor and the shop is super small (sorry no pictures) and there is already two women in the store. So we wait outside for them to leave and while we are waiting two little kids come up to beg for money or food, not sure which. I just ignored them as they sort of tapped on my arm and thigh. Pat was starting to get annoyed with them because they wouldn't leave and we were trying to talk so she yelled at them. It was too funny. We were also looking at pictures of how the sari tops are styled in the back while waiting outside. The beggars left and we continued to talk. After the ladies in the shop left it was our turn. Not all 4 of us could fit in the shop with the two guys working so I stayed outside and listened. Meeta talked with the guy about making the top by next Saturday and about what type of style they could do that fast and what Shannon wanted. Well I at least assume that is what was discussed. Apparently they also decided to make a "trial" top for Shannon to try before the real one was made. The tailor took Shannon's measurements and then it was off to get fabric for the trial top. We walked over to the next group of stores which had more tiny shops, one being a fabric one. So then Shannon had to pick a color. Not that it really mattered but if only the trial top was going to be finished it would be better to have one that would sort of go with the rest of the sari. So that took like 20 minutes. Then back to the tailor to drop off the fabric. Not sure what else we did after that but I am pretty sure everyone got dropped off at home to relax and sleep.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Sounds like you are having a blast and experiencing all sorts of cool stuff in India! I can't wait to hear and see more!
Katie
Is fabric expensive over there?
It has been fun...and some fabric is expensive but on the whole it is less expensive and sometimes better quality than in the States.
Post a Comment