Thursday, April 24, 2008

Saturday 3/15/2008 Presentation, shopping, S'mores, & a movie

Yay for sleeping in on the weekends :) hahaha...so today Hetal gave a mechanical presentation on medical gas which I went to the office to observe. I have not really done much med gas design so I wanted to see the presentation for personal reasons besides official reasons. There were not any birthday's to celebrate today so I could have left the office after the presentation but I waited for Steve (elect mentor).

We walked to Himalaya Mall so he could go pick up his purchases from the Nike store. After that we met the car (Shannon & her husband, Dave, were already in it) and went to Iscon Mall. Reliance Mart (where we get our groceries and other things) & Raymond's (men's tailored apparel) are located in this mall. Dave and Steve went to Raymond's to get Dave's stuff. Shannon and I walked around Reliance Mart to grab some groceries. After the mall we headed to a bangles shop near Gold's Gym. Dave looked at some jewelery for gifts.

We dropped Steve off at his apartment. He had us all up to check out his new 8" mattress (purchased with his own money). It was nice but I am too cheap to spend my money on that...I will just enjoy my pillow top mattress when I get home :) There are a lot of balconies and painted walls in the apartment. To look at pictures click the Flat A/402 link. Shannon and I were jealous of the counter top in the master bathroom that the sink was in. Shannon & Dave were dropped off after.

Next we picked Jason up at Himalaya Mall (you can walk there from the office so...). They way this reads you would think I was driving the car, hahah, I wasn't don't worry. Jason and I went to Icy Pik (they have meat & eggs). I picked up some more frozen chicken nuggets & mozzarella sticks. Then Jason wanted to stop at Upper Crust (a bakery/restaurant) for some bread and cookies. Both of us were then dropped off at our respective apartments.

I spent some time uploading pictures to Picasa, adding captions, adding entries to this blog and ate lunch. Undoubtedly you are asking "what did Kristen have for lunch?" so I will tell you :) I had crunchy peanut butter on bread with Pringles and Thumbs Up to drink. Tasty right :)

Shannon called me because I was late getting up to her apartment to see her wedding DVD. Some of the elect staff wanted to see it. Shannon & Dave got married in Hawaii. After watching the DVD Shannon taught them how to roast marshmallows over the stove and make S'Mores. It was great to see. I will try to upload the movies. After the staff left I talked with Shannon and Dave some. I went back to my apartment and worked some more on the blog.

Later that night I walked down to Jason's complex. It was funny because the guard sort of stopped me. I am not sure what he said but he held his hand out like "stop". Of course I was like "I am here to see Jason"...hmm pretty sure that didn't mean anything to him. But I couldn't figure out why they were trying to stop one of the only white women in this city...it just hadn't happened before... It didn't really matter because Jason was walking toward the entrance anyways. It was late enough that we didn't have a driver so we took an auto rickshaw to meet some structural staff for a movie. The place we were meeting them was Fun Republic (I think it is a mall, but it is where I have gone bowling already). It turned out to be just Mandip, his wife Meeta, Rushi, and his wife Riddhi. Of course they were all running on Indian standard time (like 15 to 30 minutes late...) so Jason and I were standing around in the main area waiting. The movie theaters here are all on the top level of the malls....different than back in the States.

Everyone finally shows up, thankfully Mandip already had all of our tickets. I have already been to a movie here so I knew we had assigned seats but Jason hadn't. We were seeing "10,000 B.C." and over here they were showing it in English and Hindi. I would have been up to see either. Meeta was trying to pull our leg and told us it was in Hindi. It was pretty funny because I was like "I don't care, I already saw Jodhaa Akbar" (if you remember it is a 4 hour Hindi movie). I love that there is assigned seating even though there were maybe 30 people in the theater. Since it was an English movie they stop it at any random spot for intermission. In the Hindi movies they have it already included and the break is at a nice pausing point. So at intermission we went and got popcorn and drinks...I think I wasn't suppose to go because it was all the guys and me...the two wives stayed in the theater and waited...ooops oh well...Jason isn't my sig fig so I am not going to expect them to get my food and drink. After the movie we went down to Mandip's bike where Meeta had put some food for us to eat. She had made some spicy pancake thing. I took a little tried it, didn't like it, palmed the rest so it looked like I finished what I took. Later on the auto rickshaw ride back to the apartments I threw it out.

So it was a long fun filled day...I went straight to bed for the exciting Sunday I had planned ;)

1 comment:

Diana said...

Kristen! I got your postcard... thanks bunches! It's super pretty and I just put it up on my wall!
:-)
I hope all is well!

Love ya and miss ya,
Diana